Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Early Adventures of [the many] Theodore Puffles

On Valentine's Day, my class had lunch with a 5th grade class. This class had a hamster. My class wanted one. I didn't mind. Enter Teddy Puffles. I told my students I would go to the pet store and get a hamster and materials if they paid for it and cared for it.

For weeks, the children brought in their change. When they had finally saved enough, I brought them a brand new furry friend, complete with a fancy cage and a few toys. The students fell in love instantly, naming their pet Theodore Puffles.

Unfortunately, Teddy Puffles was destined to go through several reincarnations before he finally settled in the classroom. On Friday, one eager boy was chosen to take Teddy Puffles home. He was the envy of the class as he strut out of school at 2:15 with the hamster. On Monday morning, however, his father met me in front of school. Teddy had died during the weekend. Before I had a chance to respond, he told me that they had bought a new hamster who looked like Teddy. I went to my classroom, and the frightened little boy was waiting with the cage. I brought him in first, gave him a besito, and told him not to worry.

Third graders' reasoning skills are far from developed; I used their limitations to my advantage on Monday morning. "Teddy looks different," one boy said. I told him, "It's because he's sleeping." He walked away satisfied; apparently sleep can alter color patterns on animals. A bigger challenge was that this Teddy was very young and couldn't open his eyes yet. The students were worried until they checked out a book from the library and read that babies sometimes take a long time to open their eyes. The fact that Teddy was able to open his eyes three days earlier didn't register.

I hoped that my hamster troubles were on the way out, but on Tuesday, Teddy Puffles didn't look so good. Clearly, something was wrong. I told the students I would take him to the vet in the afternoon. (Lies! I'm not taking a 41 peso animal to the vet!) That afternoon, Teddy was dead again.

I made a third trip to the pet store (Perhaps I should have considered finding a different one, considering the hamster death rate our class was having.), but their selection was limited this time. Teddy had to change colors, which meant the students would have to know that he had died at least once.

Wednesday was a sad day in my classroom. Students sobbed as they mourned the death of their first pet. Slowly, they began playing with Teddy 2 (unaware that he was really Teddy 3). I think they've warmed up to their new Teddy Puffles. I just hope that this one lasts.

Oh, and the other class (I teach two) of course wanted an animal, so they brought their change and bought one too. So far, we've had no drama with their Harvey Cookie.

3 comments:

The Mommy said...

Yeah, that's exactly why I didn't get our class a pet. The other 5-8 teacher has had 6 hamsters in 2 years, each with his own tragic death. Hamsters are capricious creatures that die whenever the heck they want to. Instead, I just bring my dog to work about once a month or so for the kids to see. Good luck with Puffles and Cookie. :)

Geoff said...

Life is cheap at 41 pesos...

I love all the "do and don't" signs taped to the wall.

Michaela said...

Oh, gosh. The things we miss out on in American public schools!