Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Back in college for a week

We were roommates and best friends for three years in college. She said she didn't care to get married. Ever. Then she fell for a guy -- one of our mutual college friends --, and a year and a half later, I was helping her into her wedding dress.



The weekend was marvelously fun. About ten of the LETU crowd flew/drove in for the event -- the largest reunion since we graduated. We joked that we could recreate the ubiquitous medal picture that popped up on everyone's facebook account after graduation.



I'm not sure what it is about college, but somehow, those four years are frozen in time, drawing us back into them whenever we are together. For a weekend, we were 19 and 20 again, living in the same dorms, laughing over the same stories, and complaining about the same professors.



Unfortunately, my health hasn't been stellar lately, and five days of busy bridesmaiding coupled with late nights with friends was too much for me. On the morning of the wedding, my throat was scratchy and I was sneezing. That night, all the college friends piled into one hotel room to play games and talk. I curled up in bed. Really, it was kind of pleasant drifting in and out of sleep to the backdrop of all those familiar voices.

I flew back to Mexico with a fever and had to skip a day of work. Today I went into work (the first time in a week, thanks to a Monday Mexican holiday) and was greeted by 54 hugs and little voices pleading, "Don't ever leave us again! You were gone so long!"

I'm not quite in perfect health yet, but I'm on the mend. I guess I'm just not a college kid anymore.

3 comments:

kelsey said...

i loved this, court! it makes me want to appreciate my college days that are gradually passing me by. and it made me a bit sad for when it will all be over : ( so glad you got to be there for miki's special day!
p.s. i'm about to book a flight to come visit you in may!

The Mommy said...

That is exactly how it felt, isn't it? Ok, except no one was enforcing open-dorms hours, and we all had very grown-up jobs to wake up to, but still...

I hope you're feeling better! I miss you!

Michaela said...

Wow, I didn't realize you were sick after you came! : ( I'm glad it didn't last too long. When I went back to my 124 kids two weeks later, I got no hugs, and I got mild smiles looks when I told them I had gotten married. A lot changes in 4 years. : ) Wish I could have been there to play games with you guys! Ah, college days.