Tuesday, September 8, 2009

School

Considering that I moved down here to teach school, my job is probably deserving of at least one post.

So far, I have no complaints. The kids were a bit rowdy at first, but they are coming in line. Planning is so much easier than it was last year. The students are English Language Learners, but they are very sharp. I have been enjoying having students who understand grammar lessons. Even though they are learning English, their vocabulary continues to impress me. One little boy came up to me today to tattle. He pointed to another girl and said, "She was saying some things, and they...offended me."

Here is a sample day in pictures:

I begin by catching the bus. It drops me off across the street from my school. The bridge I walk across affords me a thrilling view of the volcano:


At school, I wait in an empty classroom:


White board waiting for students:


I tried to set a purpose for the year by asking the children why they come to school:


This was my favorite answer. It reads "I come to school to learn how to be paleologist or arquelogist or antropologist or dancer or egiptologist." I especially like the illustrations.


Quick story: To print the "Why are We Here?" center, I had to use the office computer after school when most of the teachers were already leaving. I clicked "print," and nothing happened. So I clicked it again. This time, I heard laughter from the next room where my principal and other administrators had gathered. I realized that I had sent the page to their printer.

At the end of the day, my school looks something like this:

2 comments:

Girl Who Dreams said...

this was helpful! lets talk sooooon! oh, the madre tells me you are coming home for fall break?!!!! hope so.

love you court!

Jenny said...

loving the pictures. it gives me a better idea of your adventures!