Saturday, August 15, 2009

Living in Puebla

I have been in Puebla for a week now and each day am more satisfied in my decision to move here. I doubt I will be here for more than a year, but I am confident that this one year will be a good one.

Founded in 1531, Puebla was created as a Utopian city exclusively for Spaniards. Although that dream died as soon as the Spaniards decided to enlist the services of the surrounding native Americans, Puebla still holds more of a European feel than many other places in Mexico.

In the evenings, I enjoy going to the center of town, where many Poblanos gather after work. Crowding into the main square, the people of Puebla relax and play. Children chase pigeons, clowns juggle, vendors sell everything from bubbles to chips drenched in chile and lime, and the elderly sit on benches and watch the spectacles. Bands often perform in the square, and the towers of balloons floating above them seem to dance with the music. The Puebla Cathedral, built in the 1600s, borders the square, its towers casting their shadows over the city.

Part of our teacher training on Monday included emergency procedures. The list of emergencies alerted me to how far from Texas I am. Tornadoes were not mentioned; but gas leaks, bomb threats, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions were. The active volcano Popocatépetl is a mere 25 miles west of Puebla, and smoke streaming from its crater is not an uncommon sight. Although the volcano is a constant feature of the landscape, it looks different each time I see it. Sometimes, clouds linger around the top of the mountain, creating an illusion of calm. Other times, however, enough smokes pours out to darken the sky around the mountain. Watching the volcano has become one of my favorite parts of my walk to school each morning. I do not have a camera yet, but this picture, taken from Puebla, provides a decent idea of what I see as I walk.

I could go on and on. I could describe the taco stands and how the warmth and smells from the roasting meat beckon me in from the chilly Poblano nights when I go walking. I could describe the Capilla del Rosario, a baroque-style chapel inlaid entirely with gold. I could describe some of the tradition foods created in Puebla, like mole or chiles en nogada (rich peppers stuffed with meat and fruit, fried, and then drenched in a nutty cream sauce). I think I will wait on all that, though. I need to give you all some incentive to come visit me.

No comments: